As you know, Onstar is basically a factory-built system that combines an expanding number of connection, convenience, and safety elements. However, without getting subscribed, you can not really enjoy all the things that it has to offer. So, what happens when your car gets stolen when your Onstar subscription expires?
You are thinking — can Onstar track my car if not activated?
The good news is that you can still get the car’s location. This system relies on GPS, and the device takes location information even when it is not activated. Onstar will only stop locating your vehicle when you remove the car from the tracking service.
But how does the device collect location information even when the subscription expires? How does Onstar work? If you want to get the answers to these questions, you will need to stick with us until the end of this discussion.
What Is Onstar?
Let’s give you a little information about Onstar before getting into the nitty-gritty details. Onstar is basically a subscription-based service. It provides users with remote access to their vehicles. Along with that, you get a host of different features and monthly services.
Using Onstar, it will be possible to start your engine remotely, unlock the doors, and, most importantly, track the vehicle’s location. There are roadside assistance, emergency response, and hands-free calling.
The best part is that you can do all of these with your smartphone. Yes, the Onstar app will offer you all the controls the service offers.
How Does Onstar Work?
Basically, the Onstar system will utilize cellular technology and GPS to provide all the location-related services. It has a built-in GPS receiver, which allows it to collect and offer the user real-time location information on the Onstar advisor.
One of the use cases of location-related services is to get assistance when you do not know where you are. However, the location-related features are not there just to provide services to the drivers. They also come in handy when it comes to keeping your car safe and secure.
An example would be that it can offer assistance when you get into an accident or when your airbags deploy. In case of an accident, it can also give an emergency contact a call. Also, the location-related features can help you to locate your vehicle when it gets stolen.
Onstar can even offer turn-by-turn instructions by utilizing its GPS data. It does that by sending the information to the OnStar central system using the CDMA connection. It also gathers data from the OBD-II systems.
What Are the Advantages of Having Onstar?
Thanks to the innovative features that Onstar has, you will be capable of monitoring your journey with full freedom. You can also use the data for insurance purposes. It will even help you when it comes to checking the performance reports of your vehicle.
Furthermore, you can keep your family members safe with it. For example, when someone drives your car and gets into a major accident, Onstar will help you to get to the location quickly. It also has the ability to notify you when the vehicle has any significant issues.
Can Onstar Track My Vehicle Even When It Is Not Activated?
Yes, Onstar can locate the correct spot of the vehicle when your subscription is not active. The reason is that the system relies on GPS tracking, which always remains on. In fact, the GPS will send information even when the engine is off.
As a matter of fact, Onstar will not even cease this feature even when you do not subscribe to the service for a prolonged time. But as we have mentioned earlier, you can turn the monitoring option off if you want to. However, knowing that it will come in handy when your vehicle is stolen or lost, you should not!
How to Tell Whether the Onstar Service Is On or Not?
If you are not sure if you are subscribed to the Onstar service, here are a few things you can do to check:
- Check the information display of your vehicle. If you see an Onstar logo, it means that you are subscribed, and the service is activated.
- Your car might not have an information logo, or the Onstar logo might not show up due to different reasons. In that case, you need to go to the Onstar website and check your account. Log in and click the “My Account” section. If there is an “Activate Now” button, it means you are not subscribed.
- Not able to log into your account? In that case, call the Onstar operators. They will help with getting logged into your account and see if you are subscribed or not.
Can You Activate Onstar Without Being Inside the Car?
In case you did not know this, you do not have to be inside the car to activate Onstar. Let us walk you through the methods!
Through the Onstar Mobile App
You can activate Onstar through your mobile app. Here are the steps that you need to follow for that:
- The first thing that you need to do is install the Onstar mobile app. It is a free app that you can get from Google Play or Apple App Store.
- When you get into the app, simply log into your Onstar account by entering the right information on the screen
- When you log in, you will be greeted with all of the features that Onstar has to offer with their app. This includes scheduling appointments, activating your account, and many others.
Through the Onstar Website
There is really no need to get the app if you do not want to. You can activate your Onstar through their website as well! These are the steps you need to follow:
- Before anything else, you need to ensure that you have an account. If you do not, create one through the Onstar website. And if you do have an account, just log into it.
- Then, get into the “My Account” section, where you should see an “Activate Now” button. Click on it and enter your Onstar account number and the activation code that came with the vehicle.
- After entering the code, press the button, and you should be all done!
Still, wondering whether can Onstar track my car if not activated.
Well, the short answer is yes, it can. The system relies on GPS and cellular technologies to collect location information. And the location features will stay on even when your subscription is not active, or your vehicle is off.