If you are a considerate neighbor or merely want to reduce the noise solution, you must be looking for a way to disable the horn when locking the car. So how to disable the horn when locking the vehicle?
There are a few ways to do so. One is pressing the unlock and lock buttons on the key fob; the second is turning it off in the car settings, and a few others.
Let us have a detailed look at how to disable the car locking and unlocking noise!
Disabling the Horn When Locking the Car
Disabling the car locking and unlocking horn is not very simple because the manufacturer makes it complicated to prevent the chances of accidentally muting the horns. Below are some ways to disable the horn when locking/unlocking the car. If one does not work, the other method will help you do so!
Method 1: Using the Key Fob
While all vehicles have their own perks owing to a different manufacturer, model, and specification. But as all the latest vehicles (after 1999) come with a remote or key fob, you can disable the horn using it. You only need 4-5 seconds to do it with the fob!
- Get out of your vehicle and hold the remote towards it.
- Now press both the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob at the same time.
- Hold these buttons for 2 to 4 seconds. Make sure you press both buttons simultaneously.
- Look for the parking lights if they blink three times or not.
- Now lock the car with the lock button on the fob, and you will not hear the horn when locking the vehicle.
Note that this method disables only the horn of locking and unlocking the car. Your parking lights will remain intact and wink whenever you lock or unlock your vehicle.
Moreover, if you want to reactivate the car’s locking horn, repeat the process. Only this time, the horn will beep once you unlock the vehicle.
Method 2: Manually Turning Off the Horn
Note that this method might work for one vehicle but not for some. So it is best to read your car’s manual to disable your vehicle’s locking and unlocking horn. In this procedure, you have to:
- Get in the car with a car key in your hands.
- Make sure all the doors and latches of the vehicle are closed and press the unlock button on the lock switch.
- After this, put the car key in the ignition.
- Pull and insert the key into the ignition five times in 10 seconds. Don’t forget to press the unlock button during this process. At the end of 10 seconds, leave the key in the ignition switch.
- Now instantly leave the vehicle and close the door. You will see the hazard light blink three times without a noise.
Moreover, if you want your car locking horn back, you have to reverse this process; however, this time, the lights will flash, and the horn will beep.
Method 3: Via Vehicle’s Mobile App
Keyless cars often use different applications to monitor and regulate other vehicle functions. These applications can make it super easy to disable the car locking horn. Every mobile application is separate for different vehicles, so you must sift through the settings to disable the locking horn.
- First, go to the application and then settings.
- Look for the options such as the mute or silent mode in the app.
- Now turn off the locking sound. Some vehicles also have the option to reduce the sound level as well.
How to Disable Locking Horns on older Vehicles?
Note that most older cars carry horn speakers on the doors. You can cover those loudspeakers using duct tape, and they will not make a noise when you lock or unlock the door.
Note that car locking horns combine the speaker’s internal motors and airflow to make the locking beep. These speakers can dynamically change acoustic signals. Moreover, they unite low-density air with a thick layer of the door, and then the sound emanates from the driver and travels toward the onlookers.
When you cover the door speakers with duct tape, it mutes their noises from the average frequency. So you never hear them when locking or unlocking the door.
How Much time does it need to disable the horn when locking the door?
It depends on your approach to disable the horn of the locking door. For example, muting the locking beep with the fob will need no more than 5 seconds.
Moreover, if you manually disconnect the horn, it will require a few minutes. And if you cover the door speakers with duct tape, it will need 1-2 minutes to do so.
And if you mute sound via the mobile application, it will take just a few taps to mute the sounds. However, you might need an extra minute to find the options in the menu.
Why Disable the Locking Horn of the Car?
There are several reasons to disconnect the car locking horn. Some of them are:
- If you don’t want the sneaking thief to inform you of your vehicle’s presence, disabling the locking horn is necessary. Otherwise, parking your car will alert nearby thieves about the presence of your vehicle.
- In case you work in a hospital or school, the noise of your vehicle might disturb nearby people. So to reduce noise pollution, you must disable the horn-locking sounds.
- If you work at night and park your vehicle mid-night, your vehicle’s locking horn might disturb your neighbors. So in such a case, you need to disable the locking horn.