There is a possibility that you will occasionally experience a car key-related issue. You can lose your key, damage it, break it inside the ignition switch or even forget to bring spares from home. I know it’s a terrible situation to be in.
However, you can start your Dodge Neon without a key by manually turning the ignition switch, hotwiring the battery wires, or using the red coil wire. However, you need to have professional skills to use some methods.
In today’s article, I will show you how to start a dodge neon without a key in detail. No matter how experienced or novice you are, you can surely benefit from these methods.
When Might You Need to Start A Dodge Neon Without A Key?
Let’s discuss some scenarios where you might need to start your Dodge Neon without a key:
This is the most common scenario. The situation gets even worse when you’re far away from home.
Defective Ignition Switch
The key needs to turn in the ignition switch to ignite the engine. This starts the car. If you can’t turn the key or the ignition doesn’t happen even after turning the key, there is a problem with your ignition switch.
Any kind of damage to the body of the key usually makes the key useless. Sometimes, a broken part of it gets stuck inside the ignition switch.
Faulty Smart Key
If you use a smart key to start your Dodge Neon, the key will stop working if its battery dies.
How to Start A Dodge Neon Without A Key?
If you find yourself in any of the above-mentioned scenarios, you might need to start your Dodge Neon without a key. Let’s look at four of the most effective procedures to do so:
Procedure 1: With The Help of A Screwdriver and Hammer Or Drill
Although this is the simplest of fixes, this might ruin your ignition switch forever.
- Drill and screwdriver
- Screwdriver and Hammer
- Use the drill to make a 2/3-inch hole in the ignition switch flaps.
- Afterward, use a screwdriver to start the car through the hole.
- If you don’t have a drill, hammer the screwdriver into the ignition switch.
Procedure 2: Hot Wiring
It’s good to use this procedure in old cars. Moreover, you should have fundamental experience with cars to use this method.
- Insulating gloves
- Wire slitter
- Electrical tape
- Remove the steering wheel cover.
- Reach the wiring junction by removing the screws.
- Wear insulating gloves to stay safe from any live wire shock.
- Find out the red battery wires.
- Then find out the brown and yellow ignition wires.
- Ensure that the battery wire insulation is slit.
- Repeat the process for the ignition wires.
- Join these wires with tape.
- This should start your car.
Procedure 3: Making Use of Red Coil Wire
This has proven to be the most effective method. But if you are a well-equipped professional, only then should you go for it.
- Jumper starter cable
- Look for the red coil wire under the hood.
- The ignition coil’s positive point is the red coil wire.
- You’ll have to connect it to the positive point of the battery using the jumper starter cable.
- Afterward, locate the starter solenoid by uncovering the steering wheel.
- Connect it to the positive point of the battery.
- Locate the ignition switch wire.
- Finally, connect the positive point of the solenoid with the help of a screwdriver.
- Now your car will start if you supply 12 volts from the battery to the ignition switch.
Procedure 4: Utilizing Scissors
This method can also help you to start your Dodge Neon but at the cost of damaging the ignition switch.
- Try to pick scissors with a blade that fits into the ignition keyhole of your car.
- Put one of the scissors’ blades into the keyhole.
- Make it settled inside the keyhole.
- Now twist the blade.
- If everything’s in the right spot, your car will start.
How to Start A Dodge Neon With A Dead Chip Key?
If you use a chip key for your Dodge Neon, this segment is for you. What will you do if the battery of the key dies?
Here are a few measures you can take:
- If there is a wireless radio frequency chip inside the key, the ignition will happen automatically by taking the signal through sensors.
- All you need to do is to take the key close to the ignition switch.
- However, if you lose the key, you’ll have to start the car manually.
Is It Safe to Start A Dodge Neon Without A Key?
Starting your Dodge Neon without a key is always the last resort to take. That’s because it can:
- Permanently damage the major parts of your car, especially the ignition switch.
- Get you under legal action from the police especially if you use the hot wiring method.
- Infringe the manufacturer’s insurance policy.
- Injure you with electric shock or any kind of injury to your hands or eyes.
So you shouldn’t make the above procedures a daily routine. These procedures are to help you to get out of the situation you’re stuck in. After starting the car, you should definitely drive it to a nearby shop to get a new key or repair your car accordingly.