If you do not change your car AC filter regularly, it will begin to fail gradually. It will be unable to filter the air for your car properly. An air filter will let dust and contaminants get into the AC.
Dust will jam the parts of the car AC such as fan motors, valves, etc. soon, the air will be restricted and it will take much to filter. As a result, the dirt damages your car’s AC gradually.
What Happens If You Don’t Change Car Air Filter
When you do not change your car air filter for a long time, your car air filter becomes jammed with dirt, pollen, lint, dust, etc. it becomes a restriction on the air inlet. The air filter will not cool properly or operate properly.
This will degrade the performance of your car such as
- it may become slow
- use more fuel to function, especially during ignition
- may become hot because of the pressure
As the air filter is clogged up, more pressure will give it to the engine. As a result, you will have to push the engine harder for it to make up the normal pace of the car.
What happens if you never change your engine air filter
As the car air filter is clogged up, it will only be able to hold a certain amount. When it gets to a certain point, new dirt will start pushing old dirt through, which will get inside the engine. This can stop your engine from running.
This will also create more damage to the engine which means its useful life will be over soon. If a filter is saturated to the point where the entire airflow is restricted, the filter can deform due to the pressure differential, which will allow unfiltered air to enter the engine.
How long can a car go without changing the air filter?
It is safe to drive about 30,000 miles between air filter replacements. If you are driving in harsh conditions such as weather where you throw a lot of dirt and debris at your car, or sand storm, or any middle of the dusty windy weather, then it will be about 15,000 miles, particularly if you go off-roading.
Although, it normally depends on the car model, age, and the maintenance you do on your car. Proper maintenance can also increase the number of miles for driving.
Does a new air filter make a difference
Yes changing a new air filter will have some big differences like fuel efficiency, prolonged engine life, reduced emissions, etc. The first thing you will notice is that your car is not taking as much time as it was taking before. As it improves airflow to your engine, your car does not have to work hard, so it burns less gas.
Increasing airflow to your engine can help improve the overall performance of your vehicle. It will also stop emitting black smoke and burn less fuel than before.
How do you know if your car needs a new air filter
There are a few signs of noticing dirty air filters. If you notice them, try to change your car’s air filter as soon as possible.
- Air Filter Looks Dirty: A new air filter will be white or off-white color and it will be clean. As dirt sticks to it, it will turn darker.
- Engine Light turns on: if you notice The Check Engine Light is turning on your car engine, it is a sign of a dirty air filter.
- Lower Horsepower: The car will be stopping or it will take time to start if the air filter of your car is dirty or jammed.
- Black Smoke: If you see black, sooty, smelly, and dirty smoke leaving from your car’s exhaust pipe; it means the fuel is not burning enough. This indicates you have to clean your car’s air filter.
- Popping sounds: if your car makes a popping sound while the engine is starting it also means your car has a dirty air filter.
- Flames in exhausting pipe: if you notice flames at the end of the tailpipe, it also warns of this problem and can be very hazardous.
- The Smell of Gas: If you are smelling gas when you start up your car engine, you need to replace your air filter. The fuel that was not burned lacked pure air.
How often should I change my car’s air filter?
Many car experts and car manufacturing companies recommend changing your vehicle’s air filters after driving every 12,000 to 15,000 miles. However, if you drive in an area with heavier pollution, you may want to change them more frequently.
Your owner’s manual should give you a more accurate estimation as to when exactly your vehicle requires a new air filter. Also after noticing, the symptoms of a dirty air filter follow the manuals or take your car to the servicing center.
Can I drive without an air filter?
While you should not continuously drive without an air filter, a short trip is okay. One piece of advice is against driving a vehicle without an air filter. The filter is responsible for filtering the air you breathe and the air your engine uses.
How much does it cost to replace an air filter in a car?
The Average Engine Air Filter Replacement Cost Is $20 to $85, Depending on if You Go to the Mechanic or DIY. This price range is based on national averages for all vehicles and does not factor in taxes, fees, or your particular make and car model.
Air filters in your car help the engine last longer. These filters prevent problematic dirty materials from reaching the engine and other important car parts. Therefore, it prevents the engine from consuming an unnecessary balance of fuel.
Otherwise, it will lead to damage to your car’s other parts as well. If you change your car air filter regularly, it will save you time, and money, and protect your vital engine components.